Most people have no idea how good their body is designed to feel.
Living a healthy lifestyle has always been something I have strived for. I think we all do...we try to eat right and exercise...but do you ever feel like you can talk the talk better than you can walk the walk? I used to. I feel like I have finally found an all around lifestyle that works…but doesn’t feel like work. It’s actually quite simple when you just break it down into the 5 FACETS OF HEALTH. This is something I learned through my husband, he teaches an orientation class for all new patients at his practice that teaches them how important these five things are for optimum health. They are in no particular order as all are equally important.
1. Good Nutrition: This is so important. It has gotten so out of control how unhealthy food can be. It’s so easy to eat food that has absolutely NO nutritional value in it. That, along with portion sizes that are so much bigger than we used to see, it’s no wonder that our society has become sicker and sicker….not to mention with much bigger waistlines. We need to eat more whole, real food to be healthy. Since I've embraced a Paleo Lifestyle, I feel healthier, leaner, more energetic and indulged...not deprived! If this interests you...take a peek at my post Paleo 101, it just might be the key you're looking for. Skip the yo-yo diets, stop the "fad diets"....just eat HEALTHY. Make it a "lifestyle" and keep it simple.
2. Proper Sleep: Everyone is different, some need more sleep than others, but mainly we need get proper sleep to be healthy. This is our time for our bodies to rest and rebuild so that we can wake refreshed ready to tackle our busy days. There is so much stimuli in the world today with TV, smartphones, computers…many of us take part in those things right up until the minute we fall asleep and don’t take the time to wind down, relax our minds, and actually prepare for a proper night’s sleep.
3. Positive Mental Attitude: Many people don’t actually realize how this can truly improve your health! There is a lot of negativity out there, but we don’t have to be a victim to it. “It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.” -Epictetus, Ancient Greek Philosopher. The Law of Attraction has fascinated me since I first heard of it in my 20′s. Since then I’ve studied it quite a bit… through books, seminars, and witnessing it first hand in my own life. I can honestly say it has changed my life.
4. Proper Nerve Flow: Our Nervous System is the “control center” for our bodies; our nerves go from our spines to every single organ we have. If the nerve supply is compromised, that organ won’t be able to function at it’s full potential…it’s that simple. Many people think Chiropractic is only about back pain and neck pain. This is a common misconception that’s been around for a long time. All Chiropractors do is relieve “pinched nerves” (subluxations) so that the body can function at it’s full potential, and therefore can heal itself. Our bodies are very smart. We tend to forget that. Most of the time, these “pinched nerves” correct themselves, but with how hard we are on our bodies, sometimes they don’t. I will try to explain this in the simplest of terms… If there was a nerve from our brain to our heart and it was CUT, what would happen? Right, we’d die. If that same nerve was just “pinched off” a little…picture stepping on a garden hose and the flow isn’t as strong…would we be healthier or sicker? Right, sicker. Every time? Yes, every time. Now, if that pressure was relieved off that nerve through a specific chiropractic adjustment and that nerve flow was restored, would we be healthier or sicker? Right, healthier. Every time? Yes, every time. That’s all Chiropractic is…it’s that simple. Proper nerve flow is absolutely essential to our health. We need to get back to a place of PREVENTION of disease! In the "sickness society" we live in today...you have a choice. Choose health.
5. Exercise: The health benefits of regular physical activity are hard to ignore. It controls weight gain, helps with health conditions and disease, it improves your mood by stimulating brain chemicals that leave us feeling happy and relaxed, it boosts energy and endurance, and it promotes better sleep….just to name a few. Exercise is a great was to feel happier, boost confidence, improve our health, and have more fun. New to exercise? That's okay! Start small....just start. Take a look at my Fitness Challenge, it can help make exercise a habit and get you moving! REMEMBER....no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch!!
Simple stuff, right? Well, not always when “life” gets in the way. We all have had excuses. When you read this "5 Facets of Health" list...what could you change? Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you! A great way to get started is to commit to a 30 Day Discipline.
Today is a new day. You are worth it. It's not "normal" to feel bad. Make a decision to make healthy lifestyle changes today. DON'T LOOK BACK...YOU'RE NOT GOING THAT WAY!