This is SUPER delicious, SUPER easy and SUPER healthy...
I had never been a big fan of coleslaw until I had it at a restaurant in downtown Petaluma when I first moved here….where they made it fresh. I didn't know it could be SO good! This recipe reminded me of that, only better! It's light and tangy…creamy and crunchy…a great "summer" side salad!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-2 tablespoons tequila (depending on how much you like the flavor)
- 1 2-pound green cabbage
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Smoked paprika to taste (optional)
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, green onions, lime juice, tequila and seasonings. Taste and adjust seasonings, remembering this salad should be seasoned relatively assertively because when the cabbage is added the flavor will dilute.
- Remove any ugly or damaged outer leaves from the cabbage. Cut the cabbage in half lengthwise. Cut out the fibrous core. Place the cabbage cut side down and slice it into very thin strips.
- Add the cabbage to the mayonnaise mixture. Toss to combine.
- Refrigerate and let marinade at least 30 minutes before serving.
This might be dating myself, but I feel like a game of PacMan all of a sudden! :)
Even if you're not a fan of coleslaw…I encourage you to give this one a try, you just might change your mind! :)
This recipe was based on a recipe from "Primal Palate" but I "tweaked" a couple of things and improved upon it;)