I have a friend who make THE BEST Baby Back Ribs ever. As soon as I found out I was going to be guest posting for @whole30recipes on Instagram, I called her for her recipe because I was determined to find a way to make them Whole30 approved. The challenge was the sauce, as almost ALL BBQ Sauce recipes have sugar, molasses or honey in it. I tested many and some weren’t the right flavor I was looking for... for the ribs. After much trial & error, I ended up coming up with this one myself because it worked perfectly on the ribs…they turned out PERFECT! I’ve been BBQ-ing it onto burgers and chicken since, and it’s so tasty...and WHOLE30 APPROVED! :)
Here is my FANTASTIC Baby Back Ribs Recipe! Perfect for your family get togethers this summer! Enjoy!
Whole30 BBQ Sauce
Recipe Type: Condiment
Author: Happy WifeStyle
BBQ Sauce is usually FULL of sugar. I came up with this sugar-free version that is perfect on my Baby Back Ribs! It's also wonderful on chicken and burgers! Whole30 approved!!
- 1 can tomato paste (6oz)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened 100% apple sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (see note below)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- a few dashes hot sauce to taste (I like Trader Joe’s hot pepper sauce)
- NOTE: Chipotle Powder can be a little hard to find...I got the whole dried pepper in the bulk spice section at Sprouts or Whole Foods and put it a cleaned out coffee grinder to make it a powder…(I don’t have a spice grinder). It’s worth it, it adds a wonderful smokey flavor, but if you can’t find it that’s okay!
- Whisk all ingredients together and store in a mason jar in the fridge. It should stay good to use on all your BBQ'd favorites for about one month.
Condiments make things taste better. Folks, especially husbands, love sauces! These two condiments make your Whole30 so much more enjoyable! I love seeing you guys post pictures of my recipes on Instagram! Thank you to Janna and Alex of @whole30_teachers who posted this pic above. I love it! Great job! My BBQ Sauce and Homemade Mayo Recipe are staples in my house, even when I'm not on Whole30, and I feel so much better about making my own condiments that are healthier, taste amazing, and don't have all the sugar, soybean oil, and other crap in it!