I love raw almond butter...but I don't love the price! Some small jars of rawalmond butter without sugar added can be up to $17.00! Eeeek! So I decided to finally try making my own.... what's better? Why not add even MORE flavor with coconut!
This Coconut Almond Butter is full of healthy fats that will keep you satisfied... it's so delicious , my husband went "nuts" for this stuff...LOL.
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 - 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (more or less depending on the consistency you want)
- 1/4 cup shredded or flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 - 2 tablespoons melted raw honey (optional, leave out for Whole30)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. I used a my very large cast iron skillet.
- Add the almonds to a dry pan and roast by stirring constantly so they don't burn. Roast until they are fragrant, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Put the roasted almonds in a food processor, careful they're hot! Turn on for 90 seconds. Scrape the sides down and turn on again for 20-30 seconds. Repeat this process of mixing and scraping the sides until the consistency becomes clumpy (see first food processor photo below) at first, then like peanut butter. This will take time, about 5 minutes. At first it seems like it's not going to change from a almond flour consistency...but it will ;) ...be patient.
- Add the coconut oil, 1 tablespoon at a time and check consistency. I add 2 tablespoons if I'm not adding any honey, or if it turns out very thick. Blend for 30 seconds. If adding honey, add 1 tablespoon and blend for 30 seconds. Taste and add more honey if you want it sweeter.
- Add the coconut and pulse for 15 - 20 seconds. Shredded coconut will mix in more and flaked coconut will be more chunky. Use whichever you prefer...I happened to have shredded on hand, so that's what I used this time.
- Scoop it into a glass container with a lid. I kept this on the kitchen counter to keep the consistency softer (we ate it fast enough that I didn't worry about it going bad) :) If you're keeping it longer, put it in the fridge.
I love this stuff with bananas. It's such a tasty snack. Make "stackers" like this with 100% raw cacao nibs on top...perfectly satisfying bites!
My husband loves this treat with sliced bananas, cinnamon, coconut milk, a little bit of Coconut Almond Butter and 100% raw cacao nibs...YUM.
Note, if you find a great deal on almond butter you like, you can just add the coconut oil and unsweetened coconut to it in a food processor to get the coconut flavor....put it back in the jar, and Voilà! Coconut Almond Butter!
This will last 2 weeks in a jar in the fridge...if it lasts that long;)
-This recipe is based on a recipe I found on Pinterest... from the blog annadventure.com. Enjoy!