Happy Whole30 Day 15! We are halfway through this Whole30 Challenge! I wanted to check in and tell you my experiences so far...because most of my Whole30 updates take place over on Instagram and Facebook... First of all, I feel like I've had a pretty easy time sticking to the Whole30 "rules". I think this is because I've been following a Paleo lifestyle, for the most part, for almost a year now. The Whole30 just takes Paleo up a notch and is more strict. I've never given up all sugar before...even raw honey. No "paleo-friendly" treats allowed. No alcohol, not even in cooking, is new for me too. For those of you who know me....I love my champagne! :)
I've heard some people are not having such an easy time. Headaches, fatigue, crankiness...oh my! These are the people that I believe will get such tremendous benefit from the Whole30...because they really need to detox a lot of sugar and toxins from the body. Some are so unhealthy when they start, they have to continue a bit longer to really appreciate the full results, with a Whole45 or Whole60 for example.
This program is about kicking the sugar demon to the curb! It's about reseting and learning to listen to your body. Ultimately, it's about creating optimum health for a lifetime. Here are the things that have been noticeable for me thus far...
- I am taking my cooking skills up a notch! I'm cooking a lot and enjoying trying new dishes, new spices, and realizing healthy food can taste even better than I'd thought before.
- Healthy foods taste great. Fruits and avocados are sweeter...I can taste flavors more.
- I'm sleeping way better. I fall asleep quickly and wake up rested.
- I have consistent energy throughout the entire day. I don't ever get tired, I feel alert and focused.
- My stomach is FLAT.
- My face looks less "puffy" and I can see my cheekbones again;)
- I can feel my entire body is less inflamed. I don't have that "layer" that I would sometimes feel around my midsection, upper back and arms.
- I'm in a good mood every day.
- Asking myself, "Is this food going to make me healthier...or unhealthier" is all I need to make the right decisions wherever I go.
- I have no digestive distress.
- I don't eat emotionally or mindlessly. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.
- I'm not craving sugar or alcohol...or any kind of treats.
- My skin and hair look healthier.
- I'm gaining confidence knowing what I can accomplish and knowing I'm feeding my body real nutrition.
- I've made new friends through social media and feel a sense of "community" with others who are doing it also.
You will notice I did not put weight loss on my list. This is because I have no idea! One of the rules of the Whole30 is no scales for 30 days. You learn to gage your body by how it feels...not by a number. Genius.
I feel like I could go on and on. I saw a post on Instagram yesterday that was so wonderful. It was a post from a mom who started feeding her young son Whole30 approved foods for 30 days to see what it could do to help his severe eczema on the back of his legs. She had tried lotions and potions to no avail. She posted a before and after picture of the dramatic improvement AFTER ONLY TWO DAYS and how she is so grateful to be able to heal her son with nutrition. It's stories like that that are so inspiring because some of us don't have that level of evidence that is so profound that nutrition can actually heal you.
I'd love to hear about YOUR experiences on the Whole30!...please feel free to share!
I will check in again on Day 30 to tell you all about my full Whole30 experience! Happy Whole30-ing! :)
Check out the following links for other posts of mine about the Whole30: